Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chasing Joy

Emotions are deceptive, sometimes. To me, joy isn't always an emotion. It's a choice. I choose to pursue it and capture it. It's hard sometimes. And that is ok.

At times, joy does come in big, sweeping waves, like when you bring a new child home, or something like that. Sometimes, we have to look for joy under the rocks of life. Life gets a bit rocky.

Lists are good. I'm keeping track of my joy, today.

~The thought that SPRING IS COMING!!!!!

~The return of daylight that lasts long enough so that I can run again.

~My kids wrestling and giggling.

~Listening to music.

~Observing character traits developing in my 5-year-old...like wanting to be helpful.

~Seeing my son's little, impish grin.

~Lemon bars.

~Singing to Jesus.


I am one of those people that likes a challenge. Ha. Never could have guessed, right? My life is challenging. So, that makes it a struggle sometimes, but when things go well, it is very rewarding.

Our life seems risky too, but is it? The notion of throwing oneself upon the will of an unseen Deity and choosing to follow the leading of the Wind of His will, well, it makes me breathless. But, as we were reminded last night by Spurgeon's inspired words, it really is the safest place to be. Following His will. The safest place in life.

I'm not sure how we're perceived from the outside. Foolish? Martyrs? Saints? Crazy? But no matter how little sense it makes, we have to do what we're sure is right. Me staying home...right. Homeschooling, right. Adopting, right. Easy, nope. Have it all figured out, NO! Still make mistakes, yep. Still feel like a rookie, yep.

I hope someday that I can give good advice to other adoptive parents. After all, what good is experience if it doesn't age well with the benefit of wisdom. I hope to be able to digest what I've learned and have it make sense to me and with it bless my children. For now, I'm still figuring it all out. I like the gathering of knowledge. I do pray for wisdom. I do wonder what the future holds, what are we being prepared for?

What I've learned this week? Your best is good enough, even if it's not perfect. You're succeeding at something, hold onto that. Let unrealistic expectations go, keep doing the right thing.


I read this today and found it brilliantly encouraging.

"Let all thy glorying and confidence be in Christ and His strength, for only so canst thou be kept from falling. Be much more in prayer. Spend longer time in holy adoration(worship). Read the scriptures more earnestly and constantly. Watch your lives more carefully. Live nearer to God. Take the best examples for your pattern. Let your conversation be redolent of Heaven. Let your hearts be perfumed with affection for (everyone's) souls. So live that (they) may take knowledge of you that you have been with Jesus, and have learned of Him; and when that happy day shall come, when He whom you love shall say, "Come up higher", may it be your happiness to hear Him say, "Thou hast fought a good fight, thou hast finished thy course, and henceforth there is laid up for thee a crown of righteousness which fadeth not away"
-C.H. Spurgeon, from "Morning and Evening"

Isn't that beautiful? I don't know how much time I have left. I need every minute to count. I need to go full bore. I can't wait till I'm older/wiser/richer/unbusier to grow my family. The time is now.



No comments:

Post a Comment